I’ve always been a huge truffle fan, but it wasn’t until my husband fell in love with them that we started enjoying them as a special treat. Occasionally he would stop home from work and buy a half dozen as a surprise for dessert, and nothing beats how they completely melt in your mouth. Chocolate gifts are the best kind of gifts, right?
However, that little arrangement of ours sort of turned me into a chocolate snob, and if it’s not gourmet chocolate or high-quality chocolate? I’m totally out. I want good chocolate or I want no chocolate!
We are fortunate enough to have a Harry and David store in our area and oh my gosh – talk about the place to go for treats. Harry and David goodies have been a part of my life for over twenty years; the holiday season was not complete until my dad was sent a few gift baskets from work that my brothers and I would instantly start clawing at. Today is no different, but it is easier: we can shop there whenever we want!
While I’m a bit of a truffle purist, I’m not totally against using truffles in an actual recipe. Last week I stuffed some of my favorite brownies with these chopped up truffles and whoa – talk about a chocolate lovers delight. This time though, I took a savory route. Before you freak out and get all scared to dip a pretzel into this gooey, melty dip, keep the salty/sweet concept in mind. (Bacon in cupcakes, anyone?) I first found a brick of cheddar cheese studded with dark chocolate two Christmases ago and have been hooked on the combination ever since. If you think about it, it’s not that different than chocolate cheesecake. It just has a slightly stronger cheddar taste but we more than make up for it with the truffles piled on top. And if you’re still thinking twice, just imagine a chocolate cheesecake with a pretzel crust. Doesn’t that sound fab? Now we’re talking. This isn’t that far off at all.
As a self-proclaimed queen of dips, I cannot wait to serve this beauty at the holiday parties I’ll be attending this year. It’s definitely outside the box and may take a bit of convincing, but it is totally worth it. Promise. Plus, it works as an appetizer OR dessert!
P.S. these truffles make a fabulous gift if you’d like to send someone a box of chocolates. The flavors are unreal and spot on. And who doesn’t love a chocolate delivery?! Want my address? I’ll be your guinea pig.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 8 chocolate truffles, coarsely chopped
- whole wheat pretzel twists for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, mascarpone and grated cheeses together. Mix them well to combine and evenly distribute the grated cheese throughout the mixture.
- Press the dip into a small baking dish and smooth out the top
- Bake the dip for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is bubbly and slightly golden brown. Remove the dip from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, pile the chopped truffles on top of the dip and serve it immediately with pretzel sticks.