Get into the spirit of the season with some seasonal spirits! Lauren Grier, blogger of Climbing Grier Mountain mixes sweet apple with dark bourbon in this perfectly-balanced apple butter cocktail recipe.
Fall cocktails are my jam.
As a bourbon-lover, I am always looking for different ways to incorporate this spirit into festive libations. One of my favorite ways to enjoy bourbon during the autumn months is with apples. Whether through a bourbon apple sangria, bourbon apple martini, or a bourbon apple old fashioned, there’s no wrong way to enjoy this flavor combo.
BUT! I will say I recently stumbled on a different way of using apples in a bourbon cocktail. Have you ever tried apple butter? While an apple butter cocktail might sound unique, I assure you it’s a game changer! I particularly like Harry & David’s apple butter because it’s made with fresh apples from their orchards. With a mixture of brown sugar and pumpkin pie spices, it’s the perfect alternative to using simple syrups.
In this Apple Butter Cocktail — Bourbon Mule-style — you’ll find apple cider, bourbon, lime juice, apple butter, and ginger beer. The taste is similar to a traditional Moscow Mule, but with the apple butter it gives the drink a slightly spicy, yet sweet blend. Shake, shimmy, and stir your way into autumn bliss! Cheers!
Apple Butter Cocktail – A Bourbon Mule
- ⅓ cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp apple butter
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 12 ounces ginger beer
- Cinnamon sticks (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
- Apple slices (for garnish)
- In a large cocktail shaker add the apple cider, apple butter, bourbon, and lime juice.
- Shake until everything is well combined.
- Fill two glasses with ice. Divide the apple butter mixture between two glasses filling halfway.
- Next, pour the ginger beer in each glass to the rim.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, lime wedges, and apple slices.