This savory Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese recipe from Nick Evans of Macheesmo makes for a quick and easy meal. With the addition of Harry & David Pepper & Onion Relish, you might just need to go back for seconds.
Even though it has just a few ingredients, this Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese recipe is packed with amazing flavors. The trick is simple: just slather on one of my favorite condiments, Harry & David Pepper Onion Relish!
This relish is the perfect addition to any recipe. You can use it liberally on a grilled cheese because it has a great thick consistency that stays put on your sandwich. Not to mention, the flavors go perfectly with the crispy bacon and cheddar to add some sweet and savory onion flavor to the sandwich.
If you don’t have bacon cooked already, try baking the bacon for sandwiches so the strips stay crispy and even for easy sandwich assembly. And, of course, stock up on a few jars of Pepper & Onion Relish to keep in your pantry. You’ll immediately improve your grilled cheese game! Try using your leftover relish in one of our 7 favorite Pepper & Onion Relish Recipes.
Grilled Cheese Recipe with Bacon and Cheddar
- 4 slices of sturdy bread (like sourdough)
- 2 tablespoons of softened butter
- 4-6 slices of crispy bacon
- 3-4 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of Harry & David Classic Pepper & Onion Relish
Cooking the Bacon (in advance):
- Lay out bacon on a baking sheet and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes until bacon is browned and crispy. Remove bacon and let it drain on a few paper towels. You can also use leftover bacon for this recipe.
Cooking the Sandwich:
- Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each piece of bread. Add one piece of bread, butter side down, in a sturdy skillet over medium-low heat. Smear bread with about two tablespoons of Pepper & Onion Relish. Top with two to three strips of crispy bacon. Then top with sliced cheddar cheese and add the top piece of bread, butter side up.
- Cook the sandwich for about three minutes per side until the sandwich is nicely toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Repeat these steps with the second sandwich, or if you have a large enough skillet you can cook both at once!
- Finally, slice the sandwich and serve immediately.