Filled with snacks both sweet and savory, the Harry’s Gift Box has something for everyone. We recently sent one of these gourmet gift boxes to Julie Deily of The Little Kitchen, and she used the ingredients to create a delicious cheddar and smoked summer sausage pinwheel appetizer that’s perfect for events of all sorts, from birthday parties to game day get-togethers.
When Harry’s Gift Box from Harry & David arrived, I was so excited! I’m a huge Harry & David fan and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit last year. These pears, I’m absolutely obsessed with them. And the entire box, I love it. From the crackers to the Moose Munch® Popcorn and the cheddar and the summer sausage. This is the perfect gift box for game day or just every day. I knew I wanted to make a recipe with the extra sharp cheddar and the smoked summer sausage.
I have a thing for pinwheels…they are perfect for parties, game days and everyday get-togethers. These are made with puff pastry.
Shred the cheddar cheese and open the summer sausage.
Remove the red paper and slice half of the sausage into thin slices. Then dice them.
I mixed the cream cheese, cheddar, green onions and diced sausage to make the filling. Spread it over the puff pastry after you brush the egg wash over it.
Roll it up.
Cut into 1/2-inch pieces and bake for 16 to 18 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Cheddar and Smoked Summer Sausage Pinwheel Recipe
- ½ cup cream cheese (softened)
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- ½ cup shredded Harry & David® Aged Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ½ package of 5-ounce Harry & David® Hickory Smoked Summer Sausage (diced small1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed)
- flour (for dusting1 egg, beaten)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix beaten egg with one tablespoon of cold water in a small prep bowl.
- Mix cream cheese, green onions, shredded cheddar and diced smoked summer sausage in a small mixing bowl.
- Flour a cutting board or surface and place thawed puff pastry sheet on it. Brush egg wash all over the puff pastry sheet.
- Using a spoon, spread the cream cheese-cheddar mixture all over the pastry sheet.
- Starting on the short edge, roll up the puff pastry sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slices that are about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place cut side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush sides and tops with the egg wash.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes.