Shred the cheddar cheese and open the summer sausage.
Remove the red paper and slice half of the sausage into thin slices. Then dice them.
I mixed the cream cheese, cheddar, green onions and diced sausage to make the filling. Spread it over the puff pastry after you brush the egg wash over it.
Roll it up.
Cut into 1/2-inch pieces and bake for 16 to 18 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Cheddar and Smoked Summer Sausage Pinwheel RecipeThese appetizers are easy and very tasty! The taste from the smoked sausage reminds me of bacon. The creaminess from the cream cheese and sharpness from the cheddar goes perfect with the smoked sausage and the green onions.
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Harry & David® Aged Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 package of 5-ounce Harry & David® Hickory Smoked Summer Sausage, diced small
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix beaten egg with one tablespoon of cold water in a small prep bowl.
- Mix cream cheese, green onions, shredded cheddar and diced smoked summer sausage in a small mixing bowl.
- Flour a cutting board or surface and place thawed puff pastry sheet on it. Brush egg wash all over the puff pastry sheet.
- Using a spoon, spread the cream cheese-cheddar mixture all over the pastry sheet.
- Starting on the short edge, roll up the puff pastry sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slices that are about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place cut side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush sides and tops with the egg wash.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes. *Makes 20-22 pinwheel appetizers