This cherry compote is sweetened with maple syrup and makes the perfect topping to all your favorite summer treats. Created by Julia fromThe Roasted Root, this cherry recipe is a great way to enjoy cherries all season long.
You know when you love something so much you never want to be without it? That’s how we feel about cherries. This cherry compote recipe is the perfect way to add as much or as little cherry flavor as you’d like to all your favorite dishes.
While cherry season is fleeting, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get to savor this sweet stone-fruit all summer! This cherry compote makes a great topping for sweet and savory dishes like ice cream, pie, cheesecake, oats, or even pork. Since this recipe is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, you can even eat it by the spoonful without being overwhelmed by sugar. This recipe uses only a few ingredients and will come together quickly on your stove-top in a couple simple steps.
Naturally Sweetened Cherry Compote Recipe
- 3 cups Harry & David cherries (pitted and halved)
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Wash cherries well and pat dry. Remove stems and pit cherries using a cherry pitter or a paring knife.
- Add all ingredients except vanilla extract to a saucepan and stir well. Cover and bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat and allow mixture to continue cooking at a controlled boil covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and continue cooking at a gentle boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove compote from heat, stir in the vanilla extract, and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Use immediately or transfer to a sealable jar and refrigerate. Note: compote will thicken as it sits in the refrigerator. Compote keeps for 10 days when stored in a sealed jar.
Try this sweet flavor combination in another cherry dessert, like this simple cherry galette.