Simplify your classic cherry pie by whipping up this simple cherry galette! This delicious recipe from Jessica at How Sweet Eats will quickly enhance your menu this summer. And, with the addition of Harry & David cherries you’ll really step up your dessert game!
For as long as I can remember, I’ve waited all year for cherry season. It’s one of the best parts of summer! And while most often I’ll find myself snacking on them in the afternoon, adding them to salads, or even using them in cocktails–they inevitably find their way into my dessert too.
While Summer is not the most popular time of year to bake, sometimes I just have to make an exception. Galettes are just perfect! There is no stressing over the pie crust or the filling or trying to figure out if things need pre-baked or if they will set up correcting. While some baked desserts can be stressful, galettes are nothing but ease and happiness.
I love the rustic look of a cherry galette– especially when sliced and topped with ice cream. With a galette, you also get a little bit more filling and slightly less crust. Those cherries in the filling are the best part, so you have to let them shine!
Cherry Galette Recipe
Makes one galette, serves 4
Ingredients:For the crust:
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 3/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- raw sugar for sprinkling
- for brushing: 1 egg + a few drops of water, beaten together
- 1 pound Harry & David cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse just until combined. In a small bowl, whisk mix together the egg, vinegar and water. Add the cold butter pieces into the food processor and pulse until small coarse crumbs remain. Sprinkle the water/egg mixture over the flour and pulse again until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough with your hands and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, gently toss the pitted cherries with the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the lemon juice and toss gently. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roll the crust into a round or “rustic” shape – no shape necessary really – until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Places the cherries in the center leaving a 2-inch+ border of crust.
- Once the cherries are placed, fold the crust over top of them. Brush the crust with the beaten egg wash. Sprinkle it with the raw sugar. Bake the galette until the crust is golden, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the galette and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve with ice cream!