If you’re lucky to have some remaining HoneyBells from winter, we have the perfect recipe for you! It can be easily swapped out with any seasonal citrus of your choosing. Recipe created by Jessica Merchant, blogger of How Sweet It Is.
Do you know what I love about these chicken tacos? They don’t take all day in the slow cooker. If you need to leave it for 8 hours? Totally fine. It will be delicious. But it can also be done in about 3 or 4 hours on the high setting in your slow cooker on a Saturday morning for some delicious weekend tacos—or easy weeknight dinner!
In the slow cooker, you can switch up the flavors with whichever salsa you like. I used the most delicious black bean and corn salsa (so good!), but you can try pineapple for a fruity twist that would also work perfectly with the citrus avocado salsa.
Speaking of, this citrus avocado salsa will be tough to stay away from. I practically want to call it an avocado citrus salad, because I kept eating it straight out of the bowl. It’s really fabulous on top of the tacos—it adds a creamy, tangy sweetness to the slightly spicy, warm chicken. The best of both worlds, in my opinion.
Chicken Tacos with Citrus Avocado Salsa Recipe
Serves 4 generously
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Harry & David salsa
- 12 corn or flour tortillas for serving
- Crumbled queso fresco cheese for serving
Citrus Salsa Ingredients
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 HoneyBell or another favorite sweet citrus, segmented and chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place the chicken in your slow cooker and season it with salt and pepper. Pour the salsa on top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken easily shreds with a fork.
- For the citrus salsa, combine everything together in a bowl and mix. Let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- To assemble the tacos, warm the tortillas (in the oven or microwave, whichever you prefer) and fill them with a few tablespoons of the chicken. Top with the citrus salsa and queso fresco cheese. Serve immediately.