This chocolate covered strawberry chocolate mousse recipe combines two iconic desserts into one decadent treat. Created by Jessica from How Sweet Eats, Harry & David Chocolate Covered Strawberries make a gorgeous topping this dessert– perfect for sharing with the one you love.
One of my earlier food memories includes a chocolate covered strawberry. My mom and I had one at the candy counter at the mall (when those still existed!) after a long day of shopping. I didn’t even want to try it, but she insisted. And to this day, it remains as one of the best things I’ve ever tasted.
Chocolate covered strawberries are one of my favorite things. And even more so because since I’m eating fruit… I barely feel any guilt! They are so super delicious and one of life’s best pleasures.
This chocolate mousse is not only inspired by a chocolate covered strawberry, it’s topped with one! The mousse is silky and smooth but also rich and creamy. It’s topped with a strawberry powder, which is made from crushed freeze dried strawberries and is one of my favorite ways to use fruit flavors! The best part on top though comes from the huge, juicy, fantastic Harry & David Chocolate Covered Strawberry. It’s absolutely mouthwatering!
Chocolate Mousse Recipe with Chocolate Strawberries
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1 box Harry & David chocolate covered strawberries
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale yellow and smooth – about 5 minutes. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until warm.
- With the mixer on medium speed, slowly drizzle in half of the warm cream and beat with the yolks until combined. Transfer that mixture to the rest of the cream in the saucepan and stir for 5 minutes, until thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in the chocolate. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours, stirring often.
- After 2 hours, beat the cold heavy cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form and you have whipped cream. Fold the chocolate into the whipped cream until you have a smooth chocolate mousse. Spoon it into 4 bowls.
- Crush the freeze dried strawberries in a food processor or in a ziplock bag until they are in powder form. Place them in a sifter and gently sift the strawberry powder over the chocolate mousse.
- Top with a chocolate covered strawberry and serve!