This purely decadent Chocolate Truffle Lava Cake recipe is the perfect dessert to make for your sweetheart on your next date night. Created by Lauren from Climbing Grier Mountain, Harry & David Signature Chocolate Truffles make the perfect surprise center to these sweet, personal-sized cakes.
Chocolate is the universal love language.
Can we all agree on that? Splendid.
For any special event, one should be armed with endless amounts of chocolate. I am a big believer that to celebrate anything, it is essential to create sweet treats for your loved ones.
A chocolate dessert doesn’t need to be complicated, which is why I am big fan of whipping up this Lava Cake recipe made with Chocolate Truffles. It’s an easy bowl dessert, so can I get a high-five? What really sets this version apart is the Harry & David Signature Chocolate Truffles.
These high quality truffles have been formed in the Harry and David candy kitchen for decades. They’re made with premium-quality chocolate in an array of flavors like milk chocolate, white coffee, and dark cherry. Try different flavors in your lava cakes for a slightly different flavor combination in each dessert. Simply whisk the cake batter together, pour it into a ramekin, place a truffle in the middle, bake, and watch the magic unfold. And just like that you have a decadent, off-the-charts dessert ready in about 20 minutes that will melt their heart.
Chocolate Truffle Lava Cake Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar + more for garnish
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 4 Harry & David Signature Chocolate Truffles
- Raspberries (for garnish)
- Mint (for garnish)
- Strawberries (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray four 6-ounce ramekins with non-stick cooking spray along with a dusting of cocoa powder and place the ramekins on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the unsalted butter, bittersweet and semisweet chocolate. Place the bowl into the microwave and cook on high for about a minute until the butter is melted. Stir to combine until everything is blended together.
- Next, stir in the confectioners sugar and continue to stir until well blended. Then add in the eggs and egg yolks and continue to stir followed by the vanilla extract. Last, add in the flour and kosher salt; continue to stir.
- Divide the mixture among the four ramekins. Next, take a Harry and David Signature Chocolate truffle and place it in the center of the lava cake batter. Press down and then, using a spoon, cover the truffle with the batter. Repeat process until all truffles have been placed.
- Place the ramekins into the oven and bake for about 12 to 14 minutes or until the sides appear solid and firm. Remove the ramekins from the oven and allow to cool for about one minute. Then cover each ramekin with an inverted plate and turn over.
- Garnish with additional toppings, serve, and enjoy!
Whether it’s a busy weeknight, a friend’s decided to stay for dinner, or you simply don’t want to cook, sometimes you need something easy to throw together! The recipes in our series Homemade Gourmet take the thought and time out of cooking without sacrificing their flavor or gourmet appeal.