In celebration of fall, Chef Tim Keller shares his caramel apples recipe for a seasonal favorite treat. He uses sweet Harry & David apples and finishes with a flourish of spun sugar. These caramel apples are simply elegant and easy to prepare as an appetizer, afternoon snack or dessert.
Elegant Caramel Apples
- 4 Harry & David red apples
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 24 skewers
- Place the sugar in a small sauce-pot and gently stir in the water.
- Cook on medium high heat until light golden brown.
- While sugar is cooking, cut the apples into 6 even slices, discarding the core.
- Cut the bottom of each slice until it stands securely.
- Skewer the cut end of each apple.
- While the caramel is warm, hold the skewer, and dip each apple slice.
- As you remove the slice from the caramel, allow excess caramel to drip off.
- Continue to hold, until caramel hardens.
- Gently remove the skewer and place on parchment paper until ready to serve.