This easy small-batch chicken enchiladas recipe (made by blogger extraordinaire, The Roasted Root) takes very little effort to prepare. Don’t let the minimal amount of ingredients and ease-of-preparation fool you – this dish is big on flavor!
Let’s slow cook some chicken in Harry & David’s Salsa Verde
for a tender, flavorful experience. All you need is 8 basic ingredients to prepare this comforting yet light dish. If you’re looking to feed a large group of people, simply double the recipe!
Perfect for any busy weeknight or for entertaining guests, these Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas can be made ahead of time. Adapt the recipe to your personal taste in a number of ways. For instance, replace the flour tortillas with corn tortillas, add vegetables or beans, and use any cheese you’d like. Just be sure to liberally apply the Salsa Verde!
Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours, 50 minutes
Yield: 4 large enchiladas (double the recipe to make 8 to 10 enchiladas)
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (or chicken tenders)
- 1 (15.5-ounce) jar Harry & David Salsa Verde
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- Stir together ½ cup of the salsa verde with 1 cup of chicken broth and the diced tomato in your crock pot. Add the chicken breasts and spoon the salsa-broth mixture over the chicken. Cover and set on low.
- Cook for 4 to 6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.
- Transfer the chicken from the crock pot to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salsa to the bottom of a small casserole dish.
- Scoop ¼ of the chicken into one flour tortilla and roll it into an enchilada. Place inside the prepared casserole dish and repeat for the remaining chicken and tortillas.
- Evenly pour the remaining salsa over the enchiladas, followed by the cheese.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the enchiladas are golden-brown.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh cilantro and chopped green onion. Serve and enjoy!