These delicious chicken bowls from Liz of Floating Kitchen combine honey lime chicken and grilled peaches for a sweet and savory dinner! Chopped Oregold Peaches are used in the chicken marinade and dressing, and grilled peach slices complete the bowls for extra flavor.
It’s still very much summer, and these grilled honey lime chicken and peach bowls are a celebration of everything that’s delicious right now. Especially Harry & David’s famously juicy and sweet Oregold Peaches!
I look forward to these Oregold Peaches every year. I typically have a long list of dessert and cocktail recipes that I can’t wait to make with them. This year, I also wanted to try them in a savory recipe. So I tossed a few on the grill and combined them with chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, basil, and orzo to create these colorful bowls. They’re the perfect dinner on a hot summer evening!
Assembling the Meal
The secret to these bowls is that the peach dressing and marinade are a two-for-one recipe! I blended together fresh lime juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and an entire peach for a mixture that I used as both a dressing for the bowls and a marinade for the chicken. The bowls are finished with grilled peaches for extra summer sweetness. Grilled peaches can be used in many ways (hello ice cream topper!), but their softness and sweetness pairs so well with all the other flavors and textures in these bowls.
You’ll want to let the chicken breasts marinate for a couple hours in your refrigerator to get the most flavor. If you’re short on time, you can reduce the marination time to 30 minutes.
I used orzo for the base of the bowl, but any small pasta would work here too. You can also substitute rice or quinoa for a gluten-free option. While the orzo cooks, you’ll grill the chicken breasts and the peach wedges. The peaches only take a couple minutes to cook, so don’t walk away from them once you put them on the grill grates. You want them to get slightly softened and caramelized in a few places. They should still be firm enough to retain their shape, though.
I stir some of the peach dressing into the orzo after it’s cooked, then drizzle the remaining on top of the bowls before serving. That means you get a burst of fresh peach flavor with every bite!
Grilled Honey Lime Chicken and Peach Bowls
For the Dressing/Marinade:
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- Zest from 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Harry & David Oregold Peach (pitted and chopped)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
For the Bowls:
- 4 boneless (skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 ½ cups uncooked orzo
- 2 Harry & David Oregold Peaches (pitted and sliced into wedges)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 small-medium cucumbers (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup corn kernels (from about 1 ear of corn)
- About 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (torn)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing/marinade to your blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the mixture to a clean bowl.
- Cover and place it in your refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- Add the chicken breasts to a large zip-closure bag and pour in the remaining dressing/marinade blend.
- Seal the bag, pushing out any excess air as you do, and place the bag in your refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Cook the orzo until al dente according to the package instruction.
- Drain the orzo and add it to a large bowl.
- While the orzo is still warm, stir in about 1/4 cup of the reserved dressing/marinade. Set aside.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium-high (about 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove the chicken breasts from their zip-closure bag, discarding the dressing/marinade left in the bag, and place them on the grill.
- Grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the internal temperature reads 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and place it on a clean plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the peach wedges to a wide bowl or baking dish.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, turning to coat the peaches.
- Then drizzle with the honey.
- Place the peaches on the grill and cook them 1-2 minutes per side, or just until they start to soften and develop a few grill marks.
- Return the grilled peaches to the baking dish.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the orzo between 4 bowls.
- Top with the grilled chicken, grilled peaches, halved tomatoes, chopped cucumber, corn kernels and fresh basil.
- Drizzle the remaining reserved dressing/marinade over the bowls.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Enjoy immediately.