This grilled pineapple salsa recipe comes from Lauren Grier at Climbing Grier Mountain. She uses the pineapple salsa to top off homemade al pastor chicken tacos. This recipe will make your next Taco Tuesday full of flavor!
It’s hard to go wrong with tacos on family dinner night, especially when you have the perfect taco toppings available. That’s why these chicken tacos are a two-for-one deal. Classic al pastor chicken tacos, with a delicious grilled pineapple salsa to top them off!
Pineapple is my favorite of all the tropical fruits, whether it’s sliced for snacking, cubed for salads, or diced for pizzas. And as the featured ingredient in a salsa recipe? Perfection! The sweetness of the pineapples offsets the salsa’s bolder ingredients like jalapeño and red onion, creating an amazing mix of flavors.
Making the Grilled Pineapple Salsa
For this recipe, you’ll need to cut the pineapple into cubes or slices. You’ll need about a cup for the salsa, and another cup of pineapple cubes if you’re making the chicken tacos as well. The pineapple will go into the al pastor sauce as is, but you’ll need to grill the slices for the salsa. Luckily, this is super easy, even if you don’t have a BBQ! You can just put the pieces of pineapple on the stove in a grill pan, and sauté them for a few minutes until they’re slightly golden brown. After that it’s just a matter of dicing them into smaller pieces and mixing them with the other salsa ingredients!
This pineapple salsa is the perfect topping for these chicken tacos, especially since the al pastor sauce is made with pineapple as well. Pair the tacos with this grapefruit lime paloma, and you have the makings of a tasty taco night!
Al Pastor Chicken Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 Harry & David pineapple (peeled, cored, and chopped into one-inch cubes)
For the Tacos:
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 chipotle peppers adobo
- ½ cup fresh pineapple juice
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs or breasts (cut into one-inch cubes)
- 8 flour tortillas (toasted)
For the Salsa:
- 1 cup fresh pineapple cubes or slices
- ½ red onion
- 1 jalapeño (minced)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the grilled pineapple salsa:
- Preheat a grill pan or outside grill to medium-high heat. Place a few pineapple cubes or slices on the grill pan. Sauté for a few minutes on each side until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the pineapple from the pan and place on a cutting board. Dice the pineapple into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced pineapple, red onion, jalapeño, honey, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
To make the tacos:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic, chili powder, paprika, chipotle peppers, pineapple juice, vinegar, pineapple cubes, salt, and pepper. Blend the mixture until smooth and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and add the olive, chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook the chicken for about 5 minutes, then add in about 1/3 cup of the al pastor sauce. You will have some sauce left over.
- Continue to cook the chicken in the sauce. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the skillet from the heat. Divide the chicken among the tortilla shells and garnish with pineapple salsa. Enjoy!