This homemade cornbread recipe comes from Nick Evans of Macheesmo. It uses Harry & David Pepper & Onion Relish to add a touch of sweetness to this classic side dish, perfect for summer entertaining or tailgating in the fall!
Skillet cornbread is one of my favorite side dishes for any occasion. My favorite way to make a good cornbread is in a blazing hot cast iron skillet. That gives you a really nice crust on the outside of the cornbread, while leaving it moist and tender in the center!
There’s a debate about whether or not cornbread should have sugar in it. This cornbread recipe skips the debate entirely by instead dolloping the batter with Harry & David Classic Pepper & Onion Relish instead! The relish gives the cornbread a delicious tangy sweetness and is the absolute best add-in. You could also try it with any of the other Pepper & Onion Relish flavors, like the peach relish for a summer twist, or ghost pepper relish if you like extra spiciness.
This bread bakes up fast, and once it’s done you can serve it with a wide range of dishes. I like it as a side to any BBQ dish, like these BBQ chicken sliders. It also goes great with chili. And you can always eat it alone as a savory treat, especially if you top it with a little honey!
You can keep any leftover cornbread in an airtight container on the counter for up to two days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
Homemade Skillet Cornbread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup about 1/2 jar Harry & David Pepper & Onion Relish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats. You can use a 12-inch cast iron skillet, but your cornbread will cook faster and be thinner.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- When the oven is preheated (at least 10 minutes), whisk the buttermilk mixture into the dry mix until it is well combined.
- Whisk in the two tablespoons of melted butter.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and add the remaining two tablespoons of butter to it. The butter should melt and sizzle.
- Use a spatula to distribute the butter evenly over the skillet. Once the butter is melted, pour in the cornmeal batter.
- Using a spoon, add dollops of the Harry & David Pepper & Onion Relish to the cornmeal batter and swirl it in.
- Use about 1/2 cup (or 1/2 a jar) of the relish.
- Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes, until it is golden brown around the edges and a tester comes out clean from the center.
- Let the cornbread cool slightly before slicing and serving.