HoneyBell Citrus, Strawberry and Spinach Salad
A classic salad with a twist—this HoneyBell citrus (a sweet cross between a tangerine and grapefruit), strawberry and spinach salad recipe is sprinkled with chopped pistachios and drizzled with a warm bacon salad dressing brightened up with a bit of citrus. Light and refreshing, this salad is the perfect way to welcome spring.
Cushman’s HoneyBells are the perfect companion to sweet strawberries in this modernized version of the classic spinach salad. HoneyBells are juicy and sweet with less acidity than a navel orange. Their fresh-picked flavor shines in any salad and they’re equally amazing just to enjoy as a quick snack. This recipe comes to us from Kelly Hemmerly, author of The Suburban Soapbox.
This salad is great as a light lunch or dinner, as well as, a stunning centerpiece to any brunch spread. It’s super easy to make and can be made in advance. We know you’ll love this salad after one bite—it’s like a big, fresh party in your mouth.
HoneyBell, Strawberry and Spinach Salad Recipe
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 2 HoneyBells (or orange alternative), peeled, segmented and membrane juiced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup rough chopped shelled pistachios
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp
- When cooked, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool
- Pour the bacon fat into a small saucepan and set aside
- In a large serving bowl, add the spinach, orange segments, strawberries, mushrooms and onion
- Toss to combine all ingredients
Warm Citrus Bacon Salad Dressing Recipe
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/4 cup HoneyBell juice (or orange alternative)
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Heat the bacon fat over low heat and whisk in the HoneyBell juice, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper until well combined
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine
- Crumble the bacon over the salad and sprinkle with the pistachios and serve immediately
Note: If making the salad in advance, be sure to make the dressing right before serving. Do not dress the salad in advance as it will wilt the spinach.