Learn how to pickle pears in just five steps. Sweet and tangy, pickled pears are a fun surprise on any cheese platter, sandwich or salad. Simple to make with a few ingredients and about 5 minutes of hands on time, these fun pickles are a fantastic fall treat.
Thinly sliced Royal Riviera® Pears are placed in a jar and covered with a brine that’s perfumed with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Apple cider vinegar gives the pears the perfect tang with a hint of sweetness.
Pickled pears are a great addition to your holiday cheese plate and pair perfectly with cheddar cheese. They also melt into a grilled cheese sandwich like magic and take a salad from boring to amazing in seconds. Layer them on a sliced baguette and top with candied walnuts for an appetizer that’s ready in seconds!
How to Pickle Pears
- 4 pears (peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 ¼ cups apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Divide the pears among two 8 ounce canning jars. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice to a boil of medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Carefully, divide the vinegar mixture between the two jars.
- Place the lid on the jars and refrigerate for 1 hour.