John Legere, the CEO of T-Mobile, went live on Facebook this summer to cook up a delicious slow cooker Indian-inspired butter chicken recipe for his famous #SlowCookerSunday series. It utilizes Harry & David’s classic Pepper & Onion Relish. What to do for six hours while it’s cooking? Be like John and go for a run!
Indian-Inspired Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 cups Harry & David Pepper and Onion Relish
2 tablespoons ground turmeric
2 tablespoons garam masala
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 ounces canned tomato sauce
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely minced
1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash 3 serrano or jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
2 cups chicken stock
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach
Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet (or your stovetop proof slow cooker insert), heat the oil over medium heat. Add chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Toss to coat the chicken completely. Cooking in batches, add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Harry & David Pepper and Onion Relish, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce and ginger. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Add the squash, chicken stock, cinnamon stick and peppers to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Ten minutes prior to serving, stir in the half and half and spinach. Serve with rice and chopped cilantro, if desired.