Fresh and light, this easy Orange, Beet and Fennel Salad is dressed with a tangy Citrus Honey Vinaigrette. Nestled on a bed of lettuce and garnished with buttery Marcona almonds, it’s perfect for an easy lunch or first course for a dinner party.
Kellie from The Suburban Soapbox is thrilled to be sharing one of her favorite recipes using Cara Cara Oranges. If you don’t eat them immediately after they arrive shipped to your door, consider keeping them around to use in our favorite recipes like this Cara Cara Orange, Beet and Fennel Salad with Citrus Honey Vinaigrette.
This salad is striking and bright….it’s simple to make and perfect for a light lunch. Serve it as a first course when entertaining because it’s as beautiful to look at as it is to eat. Each bite is like a big burst of citrus sunshine.
The roasted beets add the perfect contrast to the sweetness of the oranges while the fennel is crisp and light. The buttery Marcona almonds are a wonderful crunchy element creating the perfect bite.
The dressing whips up in a matter of seconds with just a few ingredients, and when they’re all piled high on a bed of lettuce….this may be your new favorite salad.
Cara Cara Oranges, Beets and Fennel Salad Recipe
Ingredients for salad:
- 4 large beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head of Bibb (or Boston lettuce, washed and patted dried)
- 3 Harry & David Cara Cara oranges
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds (or slivered almonds, if you can’t find Marcona almonds)
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1/2 cup Cara Cara orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line baking sheet with parchment or foil. Place beets on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast beets in oven for 40-45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Once beets are cool, remove the skin. (Be careful, the beet juice will stain.) Place beets on a cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the peel off the Cara Cara Oranges by first cutting off each end. Place one cut end of orange on a cutting board and cut around the orange starting from top to bottom, cutting off only the peel and the white pith. Cut peeled orange into 1/4 inch rounds. Repeat with remaining oranges. Set aside.
- Place fennel on cutting board and remove core by cutting a wedge-shape piece from top of the core through the bottom. Discard the core. Place bulb, cut side down, on cutting board and slice bulb lengthwise into very thin slices. Set aside.
- Arrange lettuce on a large platter. Layer roasted beets, oranges and fennel on lettuce. Sprinkle with almonds and goat cheese. Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired. Set aside.
- Right before serving, whisk together juice, honey, olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.