Harry & David’s Seasonal Chef Program
Seasonally inspired recipes featuring our October Fruit of the Month, the Royal Riviera® Pear.
Esteemed Chef Elizabeth Falkner developed and wrote this crisp and refreshing salad recipe that incorporates some of our favorite made-in-Oregon products like hazelnuts and Rogue Creamery smokey blue cheese as well as our very own Royal Riviera pears.
This week we invited local blogger and entertaining expert Sandy Coughlin, the Reluctant Entertainer, to prepare Chef Faulkner’s recipe and share photos of the finished dish.
Royal Riviera® Pear, Smokey Blue Cheese, Watercress Salad with Hazelnuts Recipe
- 2 ea. Harry & David Royal Riviera Pears
- 1/4 c. smoked blue cheese
- 3 c. watercress, rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 t. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. crushed roasted hazelnuts
- 1 tsp. Maldon or Kosher salt
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- A few grinds of fresh ground pepper
- A few gratings of lemon zest, preferable on a Microplane grater
- Slice the Harry & David Royal Riviera Pears into 1/4 ” slices or chunks. Add the pears to a large bowl and toss the lemon zest and juice over the pears.
- Add the smoked blue cheese in small bits, as well as the watercress and hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle on the white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the olive oil and toss the salad together, gently.
- Pour into a festive bowl and serve!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4