Impromptu entertaining is doable when you have the right ingredients, such as your favorite wine and cheese pairings, which are easy to serve together for delightful hors d’oeuvres. When the doorbell rings, welcome your drop-in guests with a wine and cheese party using the Harry & David® Rogue Valley Gift Box and California Wine Trio. Rogue Valley Gift Box The Harry & David® Rogue Valley Gift Box is a gift that helps accomplish the goal of always being on your game for hospitality. It’s filled with the bounty of our abundant Southern Oregon farmlands, vineyards, and pastures—Royal Verano Pears and a selection of world-renowned, award-winning cheeses from the Rogue Creamery. This fruit and cheese gift includes TouVelle® cheese, an American original with notes of sweet cream and vanilla; Smokey TouVelle® cheese, which is cold smoked over hazelnut shells for a rich, savory flavor; Cacow Belle cheese, a sweet and savory cheddar with hints of spice and chocolate; and Rogue’s Mary cheddar, a pleasing herbed cheese. Thank You California Wine Trio This elegant gift of California wines combines white and red wine varietals that are delicious paired with the cheeses. The Clos LaChance Monterey County Chardonnay is a golden yellow, bursting with notes of tropical pineapple and banana, while the LangeTwins Zinfandel presents an aroma of black cherry and coffee with a warm finish. Finally, the L de Lyeth Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon entices with hints of wild berry and subtle black currant. After pairing the Clos LaChance Monterey County Chardonnay with Smokey TouVelle® cheese, I added a bowl of nuts and cranberries and sliced the Royal Riviera® Pears. The perfect bite, bursting with sweet and savory flavor! I paired the richness of LangeTwins Zinfandel with curried bites of sautéed sausage topped with TouVelle® Original. You can’t stop at just one!
Pear Compote Flatbread RecipeThe recipe today is a flatbread with Royal Riviera® Pear Compote, a delightful treat served with Cacow Belle cheese. When paired with the delicious L de Lyeth from Sonoma County, it makes for a delightful Cabernet Sauvignon food pairing. It has a hint of herbs and lemon and honey.
- 2 pears, peeled and cut into small chunks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- 2-3 small flatbreads
- Olive oil
- Rosemary, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place several small flatbreads on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Lightly sprinkle with rosemary and salt; bake for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine pears, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and lemon juice and zest in a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until juicy and thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Slice the flatbread diagonally and drizzle with honey.
- Serve the pear compote on the side with cheese.
What To Do Next…
- Please tell us what you think of the wine and cheese pairings or flatbread recipe in the comments. We’d love to hear from you.
- Visit Sandy Coughlin’s Reluctant Entertainer blog.
- Read about how our wines and cheese were paired at a Mother-Daughter Wine Tasting Event with our sister brand Celebrations.com.
- Browse even more delightful food and wine gifts on our website.