Here’s a classic fall recipe made easier with the help of a slow cooker. This easy to make Slow Cooker Apple Crisp will soon become a family favorite. Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, it’s perfect for entertaining.
This Slow Cooker Apple Crisp recipe is an easy five-step process. Peeled and diced Harry & David apples
are tossed with a blend of spices before being combined with a bit of grated apple.
The shredded apple helps make the dessert less watery since it releases more of the pectin in the apple. This technique creates the perfect apple crisp filling, smooth and sweet. The apple mixture is then added to the slow cooker before being topped with a buttery oat crust that’s an indescribable sensory contrast to the sweet apple filling.
This slow cooker dessert is just what you need for parties and family gatherings, since it frees up the oven for your turkey, side dishes or family-sized lasagna. Simple to make and one pot to clean—dessert doesn’t get any easier than this!
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp Recipe
- 5 pounds apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup grated apple
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, grated apple, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Combine thoroughly and pour the mixture into the bottom of a slow cooker and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the oat mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low until the crust is a golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.