Are you getting excited?
I can hardly contain my excitement for game day!
Truth: my enthusiasm for one the of the world’s largest sporting events has nothing to do with the actual physical game of football. Don’t judge. I get more excited for the food and, of course, T.V. commercials. I love this time of year, because when else do you get a giant spread of your favorite comfort foods all at once?
I’m talking about little smokies, giant subs, dips, dips, and more dips. Oh, and you can’t forget about the wings! Simply put, there’s nothing better than football game snacks.
Anyway, my plan is to add these Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Subs with Pepper Onion Relish Queso to our snack table. The secret ingredient that makes these subs an 11/10 situation is the Harry & David® Pepper and Onion Relish. A mixture of tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, vinegar, and jalapeños, this versatile relish adds a sweet yet subtle spice flavor to the chicken and queso. So, stuff your subs, pile on the queso, and watch these subs score a winning touchdown!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Recipe with Pepper & Onion Relish Queso
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
for the fajita subs:
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- Red pepper (1), sliced thinly
- Yellow pepper (1), sliced thinly
- Orange pepper (1), sliced thinly
- 2 lbs chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 1 package fajita seasoning
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Harry & David Pepper and Onion relish
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 6 whole wheat sub rolls
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Jalapeños, for garnish
- Pico de gallo, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
For the queso:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Harry & David Pepper and Onion Relish + more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
For the fajita subs:
- In a slow cooker, add yellow onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, orange pepper, chicken breast, fajita seasoning, roasted tomatoes, pepper & onion relish, salt, and pepper. Stir all the ingredients to make sure everything is well combined.
- Add the water to the slow cooker. Cook the fajitas on high for four hours or on low for eight hours.
- Once cooked, turn off slow cooker and using tongs place the fajitas in a large bowl.
For the queso:
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour and continue to whisk until a roux forms.
- Gradually pour in the milk and continue to stir until slightly thickened; about five minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cheese, pepper & onion relish, salt, and pepper.
To assemble the subs:
- Take a sub and place some of the fajitas into the sub.
- Next, top the sub with queso relish and garnish with desired toppings. Repeat until all subs have been assembled.