From Friday night happy hours at home to brunch with friends, some events are better with a drink in hand. Come with us “Behind the Bar” to learn about classic cocktails, how to pair drinks with food, and top-shelf recipes for shaking up some potent potables of your own! This fun grapefruit cocktail comes from Lauren Grier of The Curious Plate. A mix of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice from Harry & David grapefruits, lime simple syrup, and tequila, it’s the perfect drink to celebrate the start of spring!
Warm weather is on the horizon! I don’t know about you, but the thought of sitting in the sunshine with a refreshing cocktail after months of cold weather brings a smile to my face.
The cocktail I’ll be enjoying this spring? This grapefruit lime paloma! It’s the poster child for warm weather, made with lime simple syrup, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and a splash of tequila. Finish it off with a garnish of grapefruit and lime wedges, and you have a spring-themed drink that’s both pretty and delicious. Pair it with this homemade pineapple nice cream, and you have the makings of a perfect spring evening with friends or a simple happy hour at home.
Our Favorite Grapefruit Cocktail – The Paloma!
Since this grapefruit cocktail only has a few ingredients, you have to use the best. Enter Harry & David grapefruits. Have you ever seen a more gorgeous citrus fruit? The red hue alone gives this paloma cocktail a touch of sunshine. With their blend of tart and sweet flavor, these grapefruits add a gourmet level of citrus to this sassy drink. Is it five o’clock yet?
Grapefruit Lime Paloma
For the Lime Simple Syrup:
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
For the Paloma:
- 1 cup tequila
- 1 cup grapefruit juice (2 Harry & David grapefruits juiced)
- 2 tbs lime juice
- Sparkling lime soda
- Grapefruit wedges (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
To make the lime simple syrup:
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the mixture into another heat-proof container to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the lime juice and lime zest.
To make the cocktail:
- Add the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and lime simple syrup into a large pitcher. Stir the mixture.
- Fill four cocktail glasses with ice. Divide the mixture among the cocktail glasses, filling each glass only 3/4 of the way.
- Top each glass with some of the sparkling lime soda. Garnish with lime and grapefruit slices.