In “Cooking up Comfort” we’re walking you through all the classics, whether you want to curl up with soup on a rainy afternoon or bake something delicious to celebrate the weekend. This Skillet Chicken recipe, made by Kellie Hemmerly from The Suburban Soapbox, is a quick-fix meal for busy nights, made with the one and only Harry & David Classic Pepper and Onion Relish.
When your family has a packed agenda during the week it helps to have a well-stocked pantry so you can throw dinner together in a hurry. Some of my favorite meals are made in a skillet, giving the flavors a chance to blend together to create a magical dish. And the best part of skillet dinners is there’s only one pan to clean. Who doesn’t want that?
I keep a variety of Harry & David relishes stocked and ready for easy recipes that are not skimpy in the flavor department. A chicken thigh — perhaps the most underrated, yet versatile part of the bird — becomes a culinary dream when simmered in the right sauce; and this Sweet Pepper and Onion Skillet Chicken recipe is the perfect example of how one ingredient can launch a dish onto the top of your list of family favorites.
Start by simply pan searing bone-in chicken thighs until the skin is a crispy, golden brown. Then I add a simple sauce where the Pepper and Onion Relish is the star of the show. Everything’s simmered on the stovetop until the sauce has thickened. Next, top your favorite pasta with the chicken and a huge spoonful of the sauce. Finish it off with a sprinkle of chopped parsley for a dinner that’s worthy of even the swankiest of dinner guests.
Sweet Pepper and Onion Relish Chicken Recipe
- 6 bone-in (skin on chicken thighs)
- 1 jar Harry & David Classic Pepper and Onion Relish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 box your favorite pasta (cooked)
- Boil pot of salted water for pasta; cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a hot skillet, skin side down. Cook until the skin is crispy and golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together chicken stock and relish until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet with the chicken and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-17 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter and cornstarch together to form a paste. Stir the butter mixture into the sauce and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in the spinach.
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley and serve immediately with pasta, if desired.