When your family has a packed agenda during the week it helps to have a well-stocked pantry so you can throw dinner together in a hurry. My favorite meals are made in a skillet, giving the flavors a chance to blend together, creating a magical dish. And something else that’s magical about skillet dinners, there is only one pot to clean.
I tend to keep a variety of Harry & David relishes stocked and ready for simple recipes that are not skimpy in the flavor department. A simple chicken thigh becomes a culinary dream when simmered in the right sauce; and this Sweet Pepper and Onion Skillet Chicken Recipe is the perfect example of how one ingredient can launch a recipe onto the top of your list of family favorites.
I start by simply pan searing bone-in chicken thighs until the skin is a crispy, golden brown then I add a simple sauce where Harry & David’s Classic Pepper and Onion Relish is the star of the show. Everything’s simmered on the stove top until the sauce has thickened, then I top my favorite pasta with the chicken and a huge spoonful of the sauce. Top with a sprinkle of chopped parsley for a dinner that’s worthy of even the swankiest of dinner guests.
Sweet Pepper and Onion Relish Chicken Recipe
- 6 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 jar Harry & David Classic Pepper and Onion Relish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down. Cook until the skin is crispy and golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and continue cooking an additional 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together chicken stock and relish until combined. Pour the mixture into the skillet with the chicken and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-17 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Mix the butter and cornstarch together to form a paste. Stir the butter mixture into the sauce and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in the spinach.
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley and serve immediately with pasta, if desired. It’s also fantastic with a side of mashed potatoes.