Harry & David has partnered with the esteemed Chef Elizabeth Falkner in October to kick off our Seasonal Chef Program. Each month a top culinary expert will create seasonally inspired recipes featuring Harry & David’s Fruit of the Month. We are excited to showcase Chef Falkner’s unique interpretation of the Royal Riviera® Pears in October, and today we are sharing with you the first of three delectable recipes that you can create at home.
Follow Harry & David on Facebook to get the latest recipes from our Seasonal Chef’s. View the video at the bottom of the post and follow along with Chef Falkner as she shows you how to make the Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake.
Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake
Ingredients for the Crunch:
- 1 ½ C. demerara sugar or brown sugar1 t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ t. salt1 TB. flour
- 2 TB. butter
Ingredients for the Coffee Cake:
- 2 ea. Harry & David Royal Riviera® Pears (cored and sliced into 1/2 ” slices with skin on)
- 4 oz. unsalted butter
- 1 C. sugar2 ea. large eggs
- 1 C. sour cream
- ¼ C. milk
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ C. flour
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
Instructions for the Crunch:
- Work all ingredients together with a spatula or your fingers and set aside.
Instructions for the Coffee Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees convection. Cream the butter and sugar together with a spatula or in a mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add the eggs and combine to emulsify.
- Add the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients just to combine.
- Sprinkle half of the Crunch mixture divided between 2 loaf pans. Divide the Harry & David Royal Riviera® Pears slices lined down each loaf pan on top of the Crunch layer.
- Divide Coffee Cake batter over the pears in each pan.
- Finally, divide the rest of the Crunch over the batter in each pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cake is set.
- Cool completely, this takes awhile, be patient. Then invert cake upside when cool, slice and serve.